2012 Tesla Model S: Electric Luxury Sedan Ultimate Guide
Tesla Model S Alpha build
Finally, after several years of teaser images, videos, clips, auto show appearances and more, there are finally production examples of the 2012 Tesla Model S driving around on the streets
Tesla Motors [NSDQ:TSLA] has been working tirelessly to put the Model S on the market, and CEO Elon Musk even won his $1,000 bet with journalist Dan Neil for keeping promises he made about the car way back in 2009–impressive, given the struggles young companies normally face.
But what lies beneath the Silicon Valley hype? What is the Model S like to drive, what goes on behind the scenes and what can you do to buy one?
Before you get any further, read our first drive review of the 2012 Tesla Model S, and then check out our brief drive video. Were we glad to finally get behind the wheel? You bet.
If you’ve been following Tesla’s progress as closely as we have here at GreenCarReports, you’ll be able to relay Model S details without a moment’s thought.
That includes details like its EPA-rated 89 MPGe efficiency and 265-mile range (with the largest battery), with a projected range of up to 300 miles on the highway. Elon is even thinking up a prize for the first verified 400-mile run on one charge. When you’re not conserving range, a 0-60mph run of under 4.5 seconds is for the taking.
- 2012 Tesla Model S: Yes, It Really Does Perform That Well (New!)
- 2012 Tesla Model S To Get One-Hour Recharging Next Year?
- 2012 Tesla Model S Tests: 1 Hour Or Less Is Not A Review
- How Much Space IS There Inside A 2012 Tesla Model S Anyway?
- Why Is Tesla Scared To Release Its Electric-Car Sales Data?
- So How Many 2012 Model S Electric Cars Can Tesla Really Sell?
- 2012 Tesla Model S All-Electric Sedan: Drive Reviews Roundup
- 2012 Fisker Karma Vs. 2012 Tesla Model S: Video Debate
- 2012 Tesla Model S: Would YOU Drive It At Just 55 MPH?
- 2012 Tesla Model S Electric Sedan: Industry Analyst Weighs In
- 2012 Tesla Model S: Photo Gallery
- 2012 Tesla Model S: First Ride Report
- 2012 Tesla Model S Prototype Spy Shots: Exclusive
- Tesla Model S Electric Sedan Closer To Launch, Gets Facelift
- 2012 Tesla Model S Prototype Workshop: Photo Gallery
- Tesla Model S Update: Alpha Testing On Track, Deliveries Mid-2012
- 2012 Tesla Model S All-Electric Sedan: Progress And Schedule
- 2012 Tesla Model S: Reader Asks Why It’s Different, We Reply
- Tesla Model S: Technical Specs
- 2012 Tesla Model S Prices, Options, Specifications Released
- 2012 Tesla Model S: Video Preview
- Tesla Model S Electric Sports Sedan: Video From Detroit Auto Show
- 2012 Tesla Model S Electric Sedan: New Teaser Video
2012 Tesla Model S display screen [Photo: Flickr user jurvetson] Enlarge Photo
2012 Tesla Model S display screen [Photo: Flickr user jurvetson]
This is a car that’s selling on the back of its technology. The whole car is something of a gadget, but with a crystal-clear display screen in the center of the car and support for third-party apps, the spec list reads like a wheeled iPod. Even the manufacturing process is suitably advanced.
- Tesla Model S Gets First Direct TuneIn Internet Radio Integration (New!)
- 2012 Tesla Model S: Will Winter Weather Ruin Its Range?
- 2012 Tesla Model S: Is Aluminum Its Secret Weapon?
- 2012 Tesla Model S Factory Secret: Bargain Price, Ikea Furniture
- 2012 Tesla Model S To Benefit From Supercharging…Of A Sort
- 2012 Tesla Model S To Use Panasonic Lithium-Ion Battery Cells
- Tesla’s 2012 Model S Charging Equipment. Redesign For Redesign’s Sake?
- How Much Does A Tesla Model S Battery Pack Cost You? We Do The Math
- Tegra For Tesla: 2012 Model S To Use NVIDIA Graphics Tech
- Tesla Considers Software Application To Re-Skin Interior Of Model S
- Tesla Model S: The Biggest Battery Pack On The Market?
2012 Tesla Model S body-in-white
We’ve been running stories on the Model S since 2008, and each new morsel of information has whetted our appetite for more. Here, you can read about Tesla’s $42 million investment in its Fremont plant, information from the first running of its Model S Alpha prototype, and catch Toyota CEO and gearhead Akio Toyoda checking out the Model S at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show.
- Tesla Model S: Production Must Be Perfect To Avoid Financial Failure (New!)
- Tesla Buoyant After 2012 Model S Launch, Despite Losses (New!)
- Tesla Cuts Model S Production Goal For Third Quarter To 500, Analyst Reports
- 2012 Tesla Model S Winter Testing Video Mashup Released
- 2012 Tesla Model S Electric Sedan: New Teaser Video
- Two Tesla Execs Leave Before 2012 Model S Launch, Stock Falls
- Last Tesla Roadster Built By Lotus: All Eyes Toward Model S
- Tesla Profitable In 2012, Model S Sold Out: Elon Musk
- Tesla Outlines Production Details For 2012 Model S
- Raging Grannies Protest Tesla’s Possible Use of Toxic Dump Site For Future Model S Plant
- Tesla Joins Tax-Incentive Trail For Not-Yet-Sited Model S Factory
- Tesla Headhunting Top Auto Execs In Lead Up To Model S Launch
- Tesla Reaffirms Plans for Model S-Based Crossover, Minivan
- Video: Tesla Model S Electric Car
- Tesla Will Use DOE Funding For Model S And Electric Drivetrain Factories
- Tesla Model S: $49,900, 7(ish) seats, 0-60 in 5.6, 300 mile range
- Tesla Planning Electric SUV And Coupe-Saloon Based On Upcoming Model S
- Tesla Using Dodge Magnum Bodies To Disguise Model S Test Mules?
Buying a Model S
Some buyers are lucky enough to already have their Model S, but for those that don’t, there’s plenty of information available. Some buyers are still waiting on their cars, but already finding out little things they’d change. Others are listing plenty of things they love about their new Model S.
- 2012 Tesla Model S: 50 Cars Built, 29 Delivered, Maker Says (New!)
- Tesla Dodges Traditional Dealerships—And Questions Remain (New!)
- 2012 Tesla Model S Electric-Car Deliveries To Start Today
- First 2012 Tesla Model S Delivered To Earliest Depositor Steve Jurvetson (Video)
- Want A 2013 Tesla Model S Signature Edition? Too Late, They’re All Gone
- Buy Luxury House, Get Low Tesla Model S Reservation Number!
- 2012 Tesla Model S Deliveries To Start June 22
- Buying A 2012 Tesla Model S? Think Before Ordering The Battery Pack
- Tesla Update: Model S On Track, Reservations Good, Don’t Worry
- What Kind Of People Are Ordering The 2012 Tesla Model S?
- Foolishness Or Faith: 3000 Buyers Pay $5,000 for Model S Reservation
- Tesla Motors Surpasses 1000 Reservations For the Model S Electric Car
- Tesla Takes 520 Reservations For The Model S, Exceeding Expectations
2012 Tesla Model S Enlarge Photo
2012 Tesla Model S
Social media and marketing
While much of the goings-on inside Tesla have been kept relatively quiet, the Model S has still been on the news on occasion, with everything from appearances on Letterman to in-house videos of the sleek sedan and its sports car parent ripping up the asphalt.
Of course, Mr Musk has kept himself in the news too. Are predictions like “half of all new cars will be electric in 15-20 years” clever pieces of marketing by the Tesla CEO? Perhaps, but after Dan Neil lost that $1,000 bet, we’re not willing to do likewise with Mr Musk…
- Tesla Model S ‘Get Amped’ Tour: 5,000 Test Drives In Sight (New!)
- 2012 Tesla Model S: ‘Opportunity Console’ Details Revealed
- Tesla Plans 5,000 Model S ‘Test Drives’ In 45 Days, Starting June 23
- Tesla Motors Won’t Need More Money, Says CEO Musk
- Tesla Releases Trio Test-Track Fun Model S Teaser Video
- Objects May Not Be As Advertised: Tesla Model S Prototype Tour
- Tesla Releases Pretty Video Of Model S Sedan Under Own Power
- Tesla Motors To Showcase Roadster VIN1000 And Model S Concept At NAIAS
- Tesla Releases New On-Road Shots of 2012 Model S
- Official Tesla Model S Electric Sedan Teaser Photo